If you don't have time to wade through it, let me give you the gist:
A user at the Warrior Forum is earning about $300 a day from 31 AdSense sites. He builds unique content and posts articles to roughly 5 article directories (EzineArticles.com and GoArticles.com are two of them). He focuses on product-based keywords (e.g. keywords related to Toaster Machines, Ovens, Washers & Dryers, etc.). He targets only on long-tail keywords (three and four keyword phrases that get a small amount of traffic each month from Google).
In short, he's doing a form of what I did in my niche site case study. Focus on small niches and try to achieve a few dollars a day from the site (incidentally, the little niche site in that case study has now earned over $4,200 in AdSense from my 5 hours of work. It averages over $6 a day -- twice my goal.).
The author makes a few very important points that I feel warrant repeating:
1. Don't listen to all of the "expert advice" you get from forums. This guy is breaking many of the "rules" you commonly hear about.
2. Don't wait until you find a perfect proven system to get started building your sites -- there is no perfect system. Just build your sites and in time you'll fine-tune your own system. (Along the same lines, don't waste all of your time on forums -- spend most of your time focused on your work. There's nothing wrong with participating at forums, but don't let yourself get sidetracked.)
3. Once you have a system, stick with it. The original poster made the mistake of getting himself side tracked for a while, and it slowed down his progress. Once he got back on track things picked up again.
4. It's not hard to rank for long-tail keywords. Just a few links will often get you ranked and keep you ranked for a long time.
5. Everybody fails. If one of your sites just isn't working, move onto another one. I can vouch for this myself. I've built many sites that are ranking fantastically, and others that aren't doing what I'd hoped. Focus on the ones that are working for you -- don't spend all your time trying to figure out what went wrong with the ones that aren't working.
6. It's better to have a lot of small niche sites than one big earner. It's a lot harder to maintain your rankings for competitive keywords, and in the end you earn less than you would from building numerous smaller sites that take less work to rank and earn more collectively.
That's the gist of the thread -- at least it's what I got out of it. It's a great thread, so if you have the time to read it, read it. But the bottom line is:
Do one thing. Do it well.
Please post your thoughts and questions in a comment below.
Related Internet Marketing Q&A
- Should I focus on one product or diversify what I offer?
22 Answers Available - Affiliate Marketing - Asked 1092 days ago
I've heard it both ways: "Do one thing. Do it well." and also... "Don't put all of your eggs in one basket." Which have you found to be the best strategy?
- What do you think I should spend my time on? Creating more posts, or creating more back links?
31 Answers Available - Search Engine Optimization - Asked 1091 days ago
I have a blog that I'm actually ranking on the bottom of first page for my primary keyword, I've done this almost entirely without external backlinks since I post fresh content regularly. My question is, am I better off to continue focusing on...
- Are you a loser?
27 Answers Available - Internet Marketing - Asked 1081 days ago
Wow, that's a harsh question, isn't it? A loser. Nobody wants to be that. Unfortunately it's an all too common attitude. I see it all the time. People who assume that they will never succeed because they tried once and failed. So...
- How Do You Manage Information Overload and instead Take Action on What Your Learning?
8 Answers Available - Miscellaneous - Asked 1076 days ago
I am the type of person who spends time analyzing everything and I get into this constant information gathering mode. This has lead to me knowing alot of stuff but nothing is put into action. How do I break free from information overload so I can...
- What settings do you use for the, "All in One SEO Pack Plugin Options" and why??
2 Answers Available - Search Engine Optimization - Asked 1080 days ago
Do you have a strategy in setting up the options on this plugin? Do you use different options for different sites/niches, if so please share.